Les Petits Contes

About life's little observations, which matter. About hilarious situations, which illuminate. About stories which offer immense possibilities, open endings, different interpretations and perspectives.

Name:
Location: Asia, Singapore

Melancholic but with a quirky sense of humour

Friday, February 12, 2010

Comfort food


The waitress placed the hot bowl in front of me, carefully. ‘’Enjoy, ma’am’’ she said, as she left.

I wasn’t hungry, but I knew it would be ‘’good for me’’, just like the proverbial chicken soup when you have a cold.

I looked around – there were no other patrons in the restaurant. I was early, so I got the full service and attention. Ah, bliss!

Just before this, I had gone jogging, to shed my fury and frustrations. While at the Botanic Gardens, I mantra-ed, ‘’it’s not worth your time, be magnanimous, don’t stew, there is no point reasoning with idiots, and unreasonable, arrogant, condescending, self-righteous B%$@... ‘’

Yes, it had been mega frustrations in the afternoon, first dealing with an out of this planet and clueless boss, and later with two professors who stormed into my open concept work cubicle to bully, argue, ridicule, and harangue loudly at me. Nothing I said by way of clarifications or explanations was taken positively, but interpreted in a sickly twisted manner. I guess I am no match for someone with a doctorate in Marketing, nor someone with a PhD in Law from Harvard.

So the best favour I could do myself was to simply leave the office to go run off my rage, and then go for my comfort food later at my favourite restaurant at the Club.

Now the piping hot bowl in front of me beckoned. I tucked in keenly, despite my lack of appetite. Slowly, I slurped. I savoured the juicy, fragrant mushroom. I bit carefully into the sweet, succulent prawn. I slurped some more.

Satisfied, I sipped my ume shu. The card on the table said ‘’12% alcohol’’. But it tasted so mild. I could have drowned myself with cognac!

But hey, why burn your liver when you are incensed? Burn calories instead! And eat healthy.

And some comfort food never fails. I remember years ago when I was member of another Club. Then, Saturday mornings were my de-stress days, after an infuriating week at work. After a gym workout, I would go to the Japanese restaurant there and gaze at the expensive and incomprehensible menu items. Once the chef asked, ‘’what would you like that’s not on the menu?’’

‘’Errr… do you have seafood noodle?’’ I asked meekly. ‘’Yes, I can cook that for you, no problem,’’ he said kindly.

From that Saturday on, I would simply tell the waitress, ‘’could you ask chef to cook seafood udon?’’

Jolted from the memory, I decided to ask for the bill, as more and more patrons started entering. The cashier handed me the charge slip - it was $28. A very affordable way to calm an angry person! As I started to leave, the restaurant manager sang out cheerfully, ‘’Thank you Miss Loh!’’

And I felt as light as the steam that rose from my steaming pot of nabeyaki udon, my never-fail comfort food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home