Les Petits Contes

About life's little observations, which matter. About hilarious situations, which illuminate. About stories which offer immense possibilities, open endings, different interpretations and perspectives.

Name:
Location: Asia, Singapore

Melancholic but with a quirky sense of humour

Friday, March 19, 2010

Leaving for Tokyo


I read somewhere that happiness from vacations is short-lived. It is planning and anticipating a trip that gives you the high or ‘’happiness’’.

For me, it is the anticipation that kills. Maybe it comes with my job – always planning and looking too much into details, drawing up checklists, planning the route, connections and accommodations. Plus, I tend to opt for ‘’free and easy’’ holidays and avoid anything ‘’packaged’’.

Tonight, I leave for my much awaited trip to Tokyo. Tokyo is not new to me, having been there twice for business trips. But the memory has always been so hazy. I recall going there, being taken around, and coming back all in a very hurried, stressed, and dreamy state, no different from ‘’Lost in Translation’’.

The past two days I started getting anxious – over my tight budget, directions to various destinations, and itinerary. But earlier today, I felt a certain happiness, as I wrapped presents for Kayoko. I could not help smiling.

I can’t wait to see Kayoko again! We met in Italy, as students, in 2005. One year later, we met up in Tokyo when I was there for a business trip. In 2008, she visited Singapore. This year, it’s my turn to visit.

And yes, I can’t wait to meet up with Willie and the Business Week team too. Willie and I first ‘’met’’ over emails, at work. Somehow we hit it off so well, it’s uncanny. Should I take Willie a present too? I had not planned on that – he is not Japanese, and we have already met several times when he came to Singapore for work.

But, it makes me happy to take a little present for my friends in Japan. So I bought a little box of chocolates, and started wrapping them, after doing Kayoko’s.

Business Week? Well, I would say they are work connections. I know the marketing team in Singapore, and they connected me to the team in Tokyo, who will be showing me around their office, which is now in the same building that Willie works in. Yes, Bloomberg has acquired Business Week! I decided to take them some chocolates too, and a box of postcards.

I fill my luggage with presents, like Santa Claus. When I return, I will fill my mind with memories of lovely conversations, warm meals, and lots of hugs. And hopefully, a well rested soul, and memorable photos too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home